Social media presents a challenge for investment advisers in their effort to comply with the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 (“Investment Advisers Act”) and other regulations. The Risk Alert regarding Investment Adviser Use of Social Media issued by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s (“SEC”) Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations states that investment advisers using social media should adopt and review their policies and procedures periodically; “Firms should create usage guidelines on appropriate and inappropriate use of social media and should consider adopting policies and procedures to address conducting firm business on personal social media sites.” Additionally, investment advisers have recordkeeping requirements that require certain communications made through social media sites to be retained. According to the Risk Alert “registered investment advisers that communicate through social media must retain records of those communications if they contain information that satisfies the recordkeeping obligations under the [Investment] Advisers Act.”
In efforts help investment advisers further understand social media and email / electronic communication compliance requirements, RIA Compliance Consultants is hosting a webinar to discuss these areas. Our webinar, “Social Media and Email Compliance for Investment Advisers,” will be held on Thursday, June 20, 2013, at 12:00 Central. During this webinar our senior compliance consultants will discuss the following items.
- Regulatory compliance requirements as they relate to an investment adviser’s use of social media websites and email
- Guidance on record retention requirements
- Best practices and developing policies and procedures relating to social media websites
- Ways to handle email communications in efforts to stay compliant with regulatory requirements
- Supervision and monitoring of email communications and social media website use by investment adviser representatives.
To sign up for this webinar today, click here to register.