RIA Compliance Consultants
Monday, November 07, 2005

IAR Licensing

As the 2006 IARD renewals season quickly approaches, it is a good time to examine which associated persons of an investment advisor firm need to be licensed as investment advisor representatives.

SEC Rule 203A-3(a) of the Investment Advisers Act defines an investment advisor representative ("IAR") as a supervised person who has more than five clients who are natural persons and more than 10 percent of whose clients are natural persons. The IAR licensing responsibility has been given to the individual states which can impose registration, licensing, or other qualification requirements on associated persons that fall under the SEC definition of investment advisor representative and who have a place of business in the state or hold themselves out as advisor representatives in the state. In other words, under the Advisers Act, and the far majority of state regulations as explained below, an investment advisor representative of an SEC registered firm can have an unlimited number of clients in a state, without being licensed, as long as the advisor firm is notice filed in the state and the advisor representative does not have a place of business within the state.

Of course, these licensing/registration rules under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 apply to only SEC registered firms. State registered firms must look to each state’s specific registration requirements to determine which associated persons must be licensed. In general, if an advisor firm is registered in a state, at least one associated person must license as an advisor representative. According to the NASAA web site, “most states follow a definition of investment adviser representative (IAR) similar to that in the Uniform Securities Act. An IAR generally is a person who, for compensation (1) makes any recommendations or otherwise renders advice regarding securities; (2) manages accounts or portfolios of clients; (3) determines which recommendation or advice regarding securities should be given; (4) solicits, offers, or negotiates for the sale of or sells investment advisory services, or (5) supervises employees who perform any of the foregoing.”

This notice is written based on the general industry licensing requirements. Of course, not all states follow these general guidelines, and many have implemented their own unique requirements or do not even license IARs. Whenever an advisor firm begins to conduct business in a state, it is imperative for the firm to have a specific understanding of the state’s licensing requirements. If you are unsure as to which of your associated persons should be registered or need clarification on a particular state’s licensing requirements, please give us a call.


| More

posted by bhill at 10:14 PM



Subscribe to this Feed

Recent Posts
SEC Re-Considering Advisor Exams
IA Branch Office Registration
SEC Extends Certain Provisions of Broker-Dealer Ex...
SEC Sets National CCO Outreach Seminar for Novembe...
First Internal Audit
Custody Requirements for Advisors to Hedge Funds
IARD Renewals for 2006
Client Referral Sources: Don’t Forget About the Re...
Registration for Advisors to Private Funds
Licensing Maze - Investment Advisor Representative...

ADV Part 2
Annual Amendment
Best Execution
Books Records
Code Of Ethics
Compliance Program
Compliance Training
Compliance Violations
Conflict Of Interest
Credit Union
Customer Complaint
Equity-Indexed Annuities
Fee Audit
Financial Statements
Form 13F
Form ADV
Form U4
Hedge Funds
IAR Licensing
Insider Trading
Inv Adv Rep
Outside Business Activities
Political Contributions
Pooled Investment Vehicle
Power Of Attorney
Proxy Voting
Record Keeping
Regulatory Inspections
SAS 70 Audit Report
SEC Inspection
Schedule 13G
Series 65
Short Sales
Soft Dollars
Succession Planning
Third-Party Compliance Audit
Trade Allocation